22.9.10

Featured: Surface Art

printed textiles, clothing & homewares


The Evolution of Surface Art

Moyra Jones is the owner and designer at Sydney-based fabric company, Surface Art. Moyra learned the art of fabric design and printing in Scotland at the renowned Scottish College of Textiles in Galashiels. In 1989, she moved to Australia and worked for a well-known artist, translating artworks into unique prints for clothing and home wares.

In 2002, I was keen to produce designs according to my own creative vision, so I started Surface Art. I initially sold my bold original printed cushions and signature A-line skirts at the Paddington, Bondi and Rocks markets.

With Surface Art the printed fabric is the hero. Whether the product is a dress, cushion, tote or beanbag, I try to choose simple shapes that complement the distinctive prints.  My belief is that good design doesn’t need to be complicated but embraces colour, form, balance and simplicity. Inspiration comes from art, magazines, nature and objects, in particular the bold creations of the 1950s and 1960s. Surface Art puts a contemporary spin on timeless design.

As the company evolves I aim to stay true to my vision of offering beautiful products that are designed and made in Australia using the talents of local printers and makers.

The only design market that I currently do is “bowerbird” It is so well organised and a great way to get feed back on your work .

So bring on October, it will be fun!  (sheeesh thanks Moyra!)